What is a 1-page marketing plan?
A one page marketing plan simplifies your content marketing strategy and intensifies its focus. It offers these advantages:
1. It crystallizes and focuses your strategy.
2. It enables you to gain faster, stronger buy-in from executives and clients.
3. It’s easily shared to keep all your content producers aligned.
4. It provides a written content marketing strategy. That puts you miles ahead of most marketers, who lack a written strategy.
My guest blog on how to write your 1-page content marketing strategy appears on the Content Marketing Institute blog.
Ditch the big binders of strategy. No one uses them day to day.
Here’s a free template to create your own 1-page content marketing strategy: 1-Page Content Marketing Strategy Template. Use your strategy to guide your content marketing every day.
You can use the same 1-page content marketing plan template to strategize each marketing component, including:
• Social media
• Trade shows and events
• Videos and presentations
• News media relations
• Customer magazines.
With 1-page plans, it’s easier to keep all your marketing flowing.
One-page plans align content marketing activities to take customers from curiosity to conversation to conversion.
I’m grateful to my mentor, Dick Notebaert, for teaching me the value of 1-page plans. As CEO at Ameritech and Tellabs, he expected strategies on any critical matter to fit on one side of one piece of paper.
With 1-page plans, we could focus fully on the real issues. He’d challenge my thinking, down to the exact word, to sharpen up the plans.
Our discussions were brief and robust. With 1-page plans, he could make decisions crisply and quickly.
In a world where the average American has an 8-second attention span, 1-page plans work like magic to get and keep your clients’ attention.
As a marketing change agent, I consult with clients, lead content marketing workshops for the Association of National Advertisers (ANA), and write the weekly Simplify Marketing blog.
With experience from Fortune 500 companies such as AT&T, RR Donnelley and Tellabs, I've been named:
- Content Marketer of the Year by the Content Marketing Institute.
- Best Marketer by BtoB magazine.
- A B-to-B CMO to watch by Fierce CMO.